When your business is growing, you start to look at how you can make sure that you scale your business correctly so it can all keep up. Your company might grow, which means more company vehicles may be needed. Starting with just two cars is one thing, but as you grow, you need a way to manage your vehicles to ensure that you can keep track of the team as well as the cars on the road.
Understanding the best fleet management solutions is important, whether you are using a manager or the right software. Without the right fleet management, chaos can ensue and this is really something you want to avoid. So, with this in mind, here are some of the best tips that you need to manage your company fleet a little better.
- Get a fleet manager. You need someone in charge of your company fleet. They will manage the software, keep track of the locations of the vehicles and make sure that everything runs smoothly. Having someone else manage all of this for you is a smart business decision as they will be in charge of recording all the information for you to make room for you to continue to run the business. They’ll also keep an eye on your costs and ensure that you aren’t going massively over budget! They’ll also continue to watch the fleet and allow you to keep up with all of your drivers, too.
- Get some great software. Investing in the right fleet management software will help you to save fuel, maintain the vehicles and promote the safety of the fleet you have in your business. Software is an excellent tool to help you to manage your company fleet, and without this tool, you might find it much harder to manage.
- Training. Each of the drivers in your company who are using cars from your fleet should be trained properly to be able to use the vehicles and manage the day to day when they are dispatched. They should be taught what to do if they break down, where to go as part of the fleet and how to use their emergency backup equipment, too. Every single staff member from the delivery team to the maintenance team should be trained on how to use the fleet vehicles properly.
- Communicate. Is there a point in having a team fleet if there is no communication going on while it’s being used? It’s important for the drivers and the team itself to know who is where and when, as this will help to develop a great working relationship, improving the business’ productivity, too.
- Keep on top of a business analysis. If you want to know where your money is going, then you need to extract data where you can and keep on top of the activity of the business. This means the regular conducting of a business analysis, and it’s this analysis that will tell you about company vehicles needing replacement, repair and even driver behavior on the road.
Image Credits: Daniel Thomas