The science of chiropractics involves the manual manipulation of the back and neck by a qualified chiropractor and this field of medicine is based on the principle that correct skeletal alignment will enable the body to heal itself. This is part of what is known as natural healing, which for many is a better alternative to traditional drug-based medicine and this field is very popular among western societies. As for the medical conditions that a chiropractor can treat, here is a list.
- Back strains & sprains – If you pull a muscle in your back, your local chiropractor in Newcastle can use their skills to relieve the pain and promote healing. A sprain is when ligaments are torn, which can be a very painful experience and the chiropractor can feel the tension under the skin and knows exactly where to apply pressure. Fortunately, finding a chiropractor is not an issue with Google as your assistant and the healthcare professional can take a look and come up with a diagnosis. Truck drivers find they have lower back issues, due to sitting for long periods; driving associations recommend regular stops to stretch the legs and reduce the pressure on the lower back muscles.
- Severe headache – Cervicogenic headache is one caused by neck pain and the sufferer feels pain behind the eyes, on the temples or at the back of the head. This is not to be confused with migraine and it usually takes a chiropractor to reveal the root cause of severe headaches.
- Coccydynia – This is a dull ache at the base of the spine, which is often the result of a fall or riding a bicycle for long periods. It can be due to a slip on the ice, which puts trauma to the base of the spine and a qualified chiropractor would be able to tell if there is damage to this region. Some who have had accidents are referred to a chiropractor by their GP, as the doctor knows the best person to help with the healing process.
- Degenerative Disc Disease – Known as DDD, this is a condition associated with ageing, when soft discs that separate vertebrae become worn due to excessive use over a lifetime. Regular visits to a chiropractor can relieve the pain and discomfort and, in some cases, surgery may be recommended. If you have teenage kids, this article might be of some use.
- Sciatica – Sciatica is when the nerves are compromised in some way; symptoms include a sharp pain that runs down into a leg, almost like an electric shock, which is very unpleasant. If you get the odd twinge, make an appointment with your local chiropractor and let the expert take a look. Quite often, the natural approach is healthier than drug-based treatment and with the skeleton aligned, many issues cure themselves.
- Myofascial pain – Pressure on certain points in the muscle can cause severe pain, which can also cause referred pain, or pain in a seemingly unrelated part of the body. A common cause is excessive use of the muscles, bodybuilders sometimes suffer with knot cramps, or myofascial pain. Indeed, many athletes regularly see their chiropractor to ensure perfect skeletal alignment and after a hard session, the healthcare professional can work his or her magic.
- Whiplash – Often the result of a vehicle collision, where one car hits another in the rear, sending the driver and passengers forward with great force. When you watch a dummy collision in slow motion, you can see the tremendous strain on the neck and upper spinal cord; the best treatment is to consult a chiropractor, who can carry out manipulation to promote a rapid recovery.
Many Australians suffer with back and neck issues and with the surge in popularity for alternative, nature-based treatment, chiropractic care is a very effective way to use the body’s natural healing abilities with spinal manipulation. It might be a nagging issue that’s been with you a while, or perhaps a sporting injury that doesn’t seem to be getting any better, if you have any back or neck issues, make an appointment with your local chiropractor and let them take a look.
Image Credits: rokeyau76