If the open roads about anything it’s freedom – the opportunity to put your foot down, hold it there and simply drive. Whether that’s to a destination for a need-to-keep appointment, to get away somewhere for a break, to return home or, yes, just to go nowhere in particular at all; just to be in control of where you go, of your destiny for an hour or two.
To that end then, there’s nothing like music to elevate that feeling; that reality, however brief and fleeting it may be. Many of us like to fantasise what the soundtrack to our lives would be if we existed in a movie. Well, when you’re driving, especially on the motorway, with in car music you literally can supply yourself with a soundtrack. But, instead of relying on the radio with all its irritating DJs and adverts, the ideal soundtrack solution is to be responsible for your own travel music – your own driving playlist.
But how should you put one together? Well, that should be entirely up to you, of course. Tracks for tunes you might want to include though, beyond those that are personal favourites, might feature themes of driving, travel, moving, home and even making a fresh start.
Whether your vehicle has iPod/ iPhone functionality or a CD/ MP3 player – or, indeed, any kind of car stereo UK available through the likes of In Car Music – be sure to put together a playlist for it you can imagine listening to and relishing. In fact, how about throwing in some tracks that bring back fond memories of past adventures you’ve been on – and tunes to inspire new ones?
Here are some song ideas we’ve come up with:
- Are You Gonna Go My Way – Lenny Kravitz
- Around the World – Daft Punk
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- Breakfast in America – Supertramp
- California Dreamin’ – The Mamas and the Papas
- Come Fly With Me – Frank Sinatra
- Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones
- Homeward Bound – Simon & Garfunkel
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
- Leaving on a Jet Plane – John Denver
- Live And Let Die – Paul McCartney and Wings
- Live Forever – Oasis
- Moving – Supergrass
- Ramble On – Led Zeppelin
- Road to Nowhere – Talking Heads