The Eastern art of yoga has become very popular in the West since it was first introduced in the 1970s, which is no surprise, as Yoga has physical, mental and spiritual benefits. People of all ages and from all walks of life are finding that yoga offers them a wide range of benefits, and if you would like to start practicing yoga, here are a few essential items that you will need.
- Yoga Mat – This is usually made from foam and it can be rolled up when not in use, while there are some that are made from natural rattan or some other fibre, which is preferable if you are into nature. The yoga mat prevents you from coming into contact with a dirty floor, plus it offers a level of softness, which is necessary when practicing yoga. Of course, if you visit a yoga centre, they would have mats for their members, although most prefer to use their own mats.
- The Right Clothing – It is important to wear the right attire when practicing yoga, and there are online suppliers who offer varying styles and sizes. Yoga pants for women from Ladybase Love, for example, are great ones to start with. Some people prefer to wear shorts, while others like to sport leggings. Whatever style you prefer, it is important to wear clothing that easily stretches and does not restrict your movement. Wearing specialised clothing really does help, such as special recyclable fabrics that are light, stretch and allow your skin to breathe.
- A Towel – You can work up quite a sweat when practicing yoga so it is a good idea to have a soft towel to wipe yourself down occasionally. Some people like to keep some cool wipes in their bag, which are really refreshing after a yoga session, plus they are very hygienic.
- Re-usable Water Bottle – Of course, it is important to stay hydrated when doing anything physical, and if you always keep a sealed water bottle in your bag, you can drink whenever you feel the need. If you buy a special bottle, you can refill it on a regular basis, and you could buy a thermal flask, which keeps the fluid either very hot or cold, depending on your needs. There are articles available online that highlight the top 10 yoga poses for beginners.
- Yoga Cushion – A yoga cushion can help you with some of the postures you need to do, which might be as support for your back, neck or legs. There are yoga cushions of all shapes and sizes, and you can purchase these from one of the many online yoga suppliers, along with clothing and mats.
If you are new to yoga, you are advised to buy a handbook, which give you tips on techniques and a general overview of yoga and the many benefits it offers those who practice. Once you begin to practice yoga, you will realise that there are a few styles, with some focusing more on the spiritual aspect and others are mainly connected to the physical condition, so you are sure to find one style that best suits you and your lifestyle.
Image Credits: Elly Fairytale